St. Bridget's Convent, a Catholic girl's school situated in the heart of Colombo 7 (known as Cinnamon Gardens) is bordered by Maitland Crescent, Independence Square, C.W.W. Kannangara Mawatha and Horton Place.

There are two buildings for the primary school, the old building and the new building. The old building comprising the ground floor and two storeys and the new building comprises of the ground floor and four storeys. The student strength of the primary school is 995 with 30 classes from grades 1 to 5 with five Sinhala medium classes and one Tamil medium class in each grade.

It is managed by the religious sisters of the Good Shepherd Congregation in Sri Lanka.

The Old Building

                  The Old Building

The New Building

                     The New Building


School Anthem

Hail St. Bridget’s We thy children
Bless thy hallow’d name
Glory in thy strength and sweetness
And thy worth proclaim

Wave the green and white forever
Float its message far and wide
Dear St. Bridget. Erin’s glory
Be thro’ life thy children’s guide

Peerless Mother, Alma Mater,
May we ever be
Worthy of thy dearest treasure
True Nobility.

Onward then and ever upwards,
Strive in honour’s name
Failure or success is triumph
If we play the game

We’ll be true to God and Lanka
And dear school to thee;
Thro’ life’s sunshine and it shadow
Till Eternity

Lyric by Sr. Mary Agatha

The school anthem is sung at Assembly every week and on special school functions.

Present School Uniform

1).The primary school uniform consists of a low waist white dress with 4 box pleats, 1 1/2" belt and six loops (see pattern below) with monogrammed pocket, white shoes and white socks. (the length of the socks should be at least 6” above the ankle). Under garments worn should be white.

2).The school tie should be worn only for school functions and special days e.g. sports meet, prize giving. etc.

3).Two piggy tails to be tied for hair below ear level, hair below shoulder level should be platted. The accessories to tie the hair should be black hair bands and a green ribbon over it.  No fancy items are permitted to be worn – (fancy hair clips, bobbles, bangles, etc.)


St. Bridget's Convent was founded in 1902 on the fifteens of February at the request of His Grace the Most Reverend Dr. T.A. Melizan OMI Archbishop of Colombo and established in a rented house known as the "Firs" in Turret Road by two sisters Sr. Mary of St. Francis Borgia and Sr. Mary of our Lady of Lourdes.

The first school day dawned on February 17th 1902 with 14 students including 2 boys.

Outgrowing its premises as the student population increased the school moved to the present location which was known as Henley House on February 7th 1912 and presently known as St. Bridget's Convent. St. Bridget's was recognised as a Collegiate school to a Primary Department in November 1932 consequent to the rapidly increasing numbers of students it was deemed advisable to have two sections for administrative purposes Sr. Mary of St. Gerard was appointed Principal of the Primary Department.


Students are known as "Bridgteens"

School Emblem

As in the School Flag

As in the School Flag

Commonly used School Emblem

Commonly used School Emblem

In the middle of the silver white background is a fountain of learning and knowledge where the Brideteens past, present and future drink long and deep. The two little birds representing the young, our Nations "treasured heritage".

On the right of the fountain a dark green leaf of the oak together with acorns bring in the strength and resilience of St. Bridget's together with the prized value of steadfastness.

The shamrock leaf of Irish fame on the left speaks of the founders of the school. The Irish nuns who pioneered the setting up the educational institution St. Bridget's Convent.

The fact that children need guidance and protection emerges from the symbol of the Shepherds' Crook. It is the Good Shepherd who looks after his fold and guides them safely across the path.

School Motto

The school emblem depicts in essence the heart of the school with the school motto.
Gently and Firmly.

In the centre the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Mary proclaim the spirituality on which the school is founded.

The colour that predominates is green the symbol of freshness and vitality together with the gold and white the colours of the Irish flag gives the finishing touch to the emblem of St. Bridget's Convent.


The school is administered by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd Congregation with the Principal at the helm.

Rev. Sr. Marie Dilani Jayamanne

Mrs. Irani Silva
Mrs. Iroshini Wijesinghe
Miss Kalanjali Jesuratnam
Miss Ranshani Wanigasekera

School Flag

School Flag

School Flag

House Systems

From grade 3 upwards the children are divided into 4 houses. They are;

House systems

House systems